Winter is here. That means it’s time to start planning your spring home remodeling project for your Oakland County home.
Finding the right remodeling contractor isn’t something to take lightly. Nor should it be done quickly.
Instead, take the quiet, cozy days of the winter season to start researching home remodeling contractors near you and talking to them about your budget, the ideas you have for your changes and their services.
A good Eastpointe home remodeling contractor will:
- Have all the required licenses from state and local municipalities. (Ask to see prove the company has them.)
- It also should have designations from professional associations such as the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, as well as the National Association of Homebuilders and the National Kitchen & Bath Association
- Ask them if they invest their funds – and their employees’ time – in course work that leads to additional certifications for the people who actually will be working in/on your home remodeling project.
Interview no more than about three contractors. You’ll come across more than three, of course, but to save time – and your sanity – choose no more than three to interview.
As you interview, see how they communicate. Are they open with you about potential problems they see in your home remodeling dreams? Do they ask you several questions, too?
Check their references
If they don’t offer, ask to see some of their past projects. Get the names and contact information of their past clients and check up with them. Ask these former customers how the Mt. Clemens home remodeling contractor did: did they finish (pretty much) on time and on budget? What do they wish they had done differently when choosing a contractor? Would they use this contractor again?
You also should consider:
- Does the contractor have a permanent mailing address, have a business phone number, a fax number? A physical address that’s not a home? (This isn’t critical, so long as they’ve been in business for three to five years (minimum).
- Carry liability insurance that protects their homeowner customers? Ask to see a printed copy of it.
We’ve been serving our home remodeling customers for more than 25 years. Learn more about our services.